The perfect dish for when tomatoes are abundant.
A great Sunday night dinner or delicious lunch, especially if served with a green salad. Add jalapenos to the tomatoes for extra heat.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup fine cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup reduced-fat milk
½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon sherry vinegar (white wine or balsamic vinegar will also work)
1 ¾ pounds (80 gms) heirloom or regular tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeded
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or basil (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or basil)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. In a food processor pulse the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and half a teaspoon of both salt and pepper until combined. Add the butter and half the cheese (1/4 cup) and pulse until the mixture forms coarse breadcrumb appearance. Add the milk slowly and pulse until the dough just comes together.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a ½ inch thick circle. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15 mins, or while you prepare the tomatoes. Preheat the oven to 375 F° (190 C° or Gas Mark 5).
3. In an ovenproof skillet pan, combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat, swirling not stirring, until the mixture turns amber – about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and swirl to combine. Add the tomatoes and thyme, season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the tomatoes in the caramel mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the juices have thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
4. Cut the chilled dough into 8 wedges and arrange in a circle on top of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake the cobbler till golden, 30 – 40 minutes.
Great served on its own, even better with steamed greens or green salad.
Calories per serving: 311
Fat per serving: 12g
Saturated fat per serving: 8g
Protein per serving: 8g
Carbohydrates per serving: 47g
Fiber per serving: 3g