Wheatgrass is the young sprouts grown from seeds of Triticum aestivum or common wheat. Its called grass but its more like a vegetable, on steroids. Pound for pound, sprouts are probably the most nutritious of all plants because they are power houses of vitamins, minerals and trace elements but wheatgrass is like the Rolls Royce of sprouts. Wheatgrass is quite difficult to eat and digest but the juice is a potent elixir for health.
Wheat grass is a food and a supplement rolled into one. Here are ten reasons to have a shot of fresh wheatgrass juice every day:
- Wheatgrass is extraordinarily rich in chlorophyll, up to 70%. Why should you care? Chlorophyll is to plants what blood is to humans but surprisingly enough, at the molecular level they are remarkably similar. Where chlorophyll is the green pigment in plants with magnesium as the central ion, hemin is the pigment in blood, with iron in the center. In an amazing sleight of hand, Mother Nature has it organized that plant blood helps to build human blood, increasing red blood cell counts and oxygen.
- Chlorophyll captures the sunlight that plants need for the process of photosynthesis where they convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. Without chlorophyll, there would be no oxygen and no life. Wheatgrass juice is like liquid light energy. The famous Dr. Maximilian Bircher, founder of the Bircher- Benner Clinic in Switzerland, said When freshly made into a drink, chlorophyll contains synthesized sunshine, plus the electric current necessary for the revitalisation of the body- and it will open up areas of the brain that man as yet knows nothing about.
- Wheatgrass is a natural healer and energy booster because it strengthens your immune system. Nothing you put it in your mouth ever heals anything directly, it can only heal by providing the body with the essentials it needs to function optimally. Thats why pharmaceuticals dont cure but just add to the toxic load. Wheatgrass, on the other hand, feeds your system with an impressive array of the basic elements that it uses to sustain good health. Despite what the drug industry would have you believe, the disease process is not rocket science and is not caused by a drug deficiency but a nutrient deficiency. The only side effect of a daily infusion of wheatgrass is likely to give you is health.
- Wheatgrass is antiaging green gold. Wheatgrass juice stimulates the release of HGH from the pituitary gland. HGH (human growth hormone) doesnt sound very sexy but it is your very own youth hormone. When you are young, you produce plenty of it but by the time you are in your 30s, production drops off and continues to decline, along with muscle mass, skin thickness and energy levels. A fast track to getting sick and old before your time is high blood sugar because of the insulin that comes with it. Wheatgrass helps to stabilize blood sugar levels as well as improve digestion. It enhances fat metabolism too and because it provides so many nutrients in a form that you can easily absorb, it prevents overeating and cravings.
- Wheatgrass is a powerful detoxifier and purifier from both exogenous and endogenous toxins. In plain English, it helps your body neutralize the poisons from drugs, pollution, heavy metals and processed food as well as the waste products generated by normal cellular activity. It helps your bowels and liver to work better in order to flush those toxins out of your system.
- Wheatgrass juice is the perfect multi-vitamin, multi-mineral package in food form. It is, in fact, a nutritionally complete food with 17 amino acids (the building blocks of protein), vitamins A, B-complex, C, D, E and K, all known minerals and more threonine, isoleucine, phenylalanine, arginine, alanine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid, and proline per 100 grams than spinach, broccoli, eggs, and chicken. You all know that leafy green vegetables are really good for you but what you might not know is that just a shot glass of wheatgrass juice is the nutritional equivalent of two and a half pounds of said vegetables.
- Wheatgrass has the grass juice factor a quality shared by all the cereal grasses which is highest in young grass. Nobody really knows what this is but it was discovered in the 1930s by researchers who couldnt replicate this elusive and health-giving something in grass that sustains animal health and life. My best guess is that the grass juice factor isnt one thing but the synergistic effect of all the different parts where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
- Wheatgrass juice is a live food, meaning it is replete with enzymes biological catalysts that make things happen. It has been said that life is an enzyme process because living without enzymes is a bit like trying to boil a pot of water on a pile of cold wood you might have all the right ingredients but no spark. The 30 plus enzymes in wheatgrass include a good helping of SOD (superoxide dismutase), an anti-inflammatory and anti-aging enzyme that protects DNA, cytochrome oxidase which is required for cell respiration, as well as enzymes for protein and starch digestion, fat-splitting and heart health.
- Wheatgrass is high in magnesium, the relaxation mineral. If you dont have enough of this hugely important mineral, you will feel stressed but stress also depletes magnesium. Additionally, the 300 odd other physiological processes in your body that magnesium facilitates wont run smoothly, like energy production and inflammation control. Not only do modern farming methods strip magnesium from the soil but the refined foods it produces, like white flour and sugar, strip magnesium from you a double whammy. Chances are you are magnesium deficient, along with an estimated 80% of the population. So drink up.
- Wheatgrass juice has an extraordinarily alkalizing effect on the blood and tissues; in fact it has been called the king of alkaline foods. Just about everything we consume is acid forming, from sugar to meat, dairy, soft drinks, alcohol, artificial sweeteners, white flour products and processed foods. Stress also generates a lot of acidity, as do negative emotions like anxiety and anger. If there is no alkaline buffer from food, maintaining an alkaline state in the blood and lymph requires enormous resources from other areas, like the calcium from bones. Acidity is linked to a frightening array of diseases and disorders like cancer, hormonal imbalances, osteoarthritis, premature aging, chronic fatigue, osteoporosis the list goes on and on.