We all crave fries whenever we are at a fast food joint. Crispy and salty outside and soft within, it is comfort food for adults and children alike. Here is an easy way to make them as a healthy snack fit for gatherings at home, just by baking them with minimal oil.
We can use sweet potatoes and carrots instead of just making the regular potato ones. Sweet potato fries are crispier than carrot fries as carrots have less starch and carbohydrates. Serve them hot with ketchup or choice of dip. They tend to be soft if left to cool so heat them in the oven for 5 minutes before serving them again.
The below recipe is for sweet potato and carrot fries but you could substitute potatoes or yams.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced or wedged
2-3 carrots, peeled and sliced or wedged
2 tbsp. oil,
salt and pepper or paprika to taste
Oregano flakes, for seasoning
Ketchup or any other dip
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)
2. Cut the sweet potato and carrots in wedges of at least 1cm thickness (roughly the size of your little finger)
3. Toss the slices or wedges in oil and spices so that oil is nicely coated.
4. Lay the wedges on a baking sheet/parchment paper. The wedges should be well separated.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Every 10 minutes turn fries to ensure even baking.
6. Allow it cool over the rack for 5 minutes.
7. Season with oregano and salt (if required)
8. Serve with ketchup or dip of any choice
1. If the chips become soft, heat in a preheated oven for a minute or two.
Serves = 2
Time = 30 Minutes