In the past few years, the popularity of coconut oil has grown by leaps and bounds and with good reason. From a health perspective, coconut oil is credited with helping diabetes, heart disease, chronic fatigue, Crohns disease and increasing energy. But on top of its health benefits, coconut oil is quickly becoming a staple in many beauty regimes.
1.Coconut Oil Moisturizes the Skin
- Coconut oil moisturizes the skin. Go ahead and slather it on because coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer. Coconut oil is high in fatty acids which help lock in moisture and promote hydration. If its too greasy for you, look for a facial moisturizer made with coconut oil, but keep in mind, many moisturizers are made with water that evaporates and leaves your skin thirsty again.
2.Coconut Oil Helps Hair
- Coconut oil can improve dry, damaged hair. The fatty acids in coconut oil can act as an intense moisturizer for hair in need of help. Rub a small amount of coconut oil between your hands so that it melts. Then take a section of your hair and apply the oil from roots to ends. Repeat so that your entire head of hair is covered in coconut oil. Allow it to do its magic for 20 minutes. Rinse the oil out in the shower and youll be amazed at your silky locks.
- Coconut oil fights frizz. We all know oil and water dont mix. So it stands to reason that if you put oil on your hair, it will keep moisture from getting into the hair follicle, which is what ultimately causes hair to frizz. If your goal is to prevent frizz, massage a dollop of oil in your hands until it melts and apply evenly throughout your hair, avoiding the scalp. Using a wide-tooth comb, comb the oil through your hair. Once all of your hair has been coated in the oil, put your hair up in a bun or a tight braid and go about your day. The longer you leave it in, the more benefits youll see. When youre ready to wash it out, a cleansing shampoo should do the trick just avoid using a shampoo with sodium laurel sulfate which strips your hair.
3.Coconut Oil Removes Eye Makeup
- Not only will coconut oil dissolve your makeup, including mascara, but it will moisturize the sensitive skin around the eyes at the same time. Put the coconut oil on your fingertips and gently rub the oil in circles around our eyes. Youll literally feel the mascara lift away unfortunately when it does that, it will end up all around your eyes. Once its all been removed, wipe the area again, very gently with a damp cotton ball.
4.Coconut Oil Whitens Teeth
- Whether you call it swishing, rinsing, or oil pulling, moving coconut oil around in your mouth can help whiten your teeth. The lauric acid in coconut oil destroys the bacteria in plaque that can make teeth appear yellow. Start with a small amount and move it around in your mouth for five minutes to start. After five minutes, spit the oil out. As you get more accustomed to the feel of oil in our mouth, you can increase the amount of oil and the length of time you rinse with it.
5.Coconut Oil as an Exfoliator
- Coconut oil alone wont exfoliate, but it can serve as a wonderful base for a do-it-yourself exfoliator. Add sugar (white or brown) to a dollop of coconut oil and rub it over your entire body to slough off dead skin cells. Among coconut oils numerous benefits is that it has antifungal properties, so go ahead and use it on your feet too.
6.Coconut Oil as a Shaving Cream
- Drug store shaving cream is often full of chemicals that can cause irritation to sensitive skin. Coconut oil, on the other hand, is soothing and moisturizing and makes a wonderful shaving cream alternative. It creates a smooth surface that allows the razor to glide easily for a clean, close shave. Best of all, anything left on your skin will moisturize your legs and it wont cause irritation.
7.Coconut Oil Highlights Your Cheeks
- You can spend a lot of money on makeup thats intended to add a glimmer to your cheekbones or you can use coconut oil. Many brands are even beginning to include coconut oil in their light-reflecting liquid makeup. But when coconut oil is dotted on your cheekbones over the rest of your makeup, youll achieve an all-natural glimmer.
If you thought coconut oil was only good for cooking, think again. This little jar of happiness belongs in every pantry and with these tips, in every beauty kit too.