Snoring is an epidemic that plagues over 40% of men, and 25% of women, every night. Most people think snoring is just something that is bothersome, but did you know that snoring is a leading cause for the breakup of marriages? Thats right. Some marriages end in divorce because a spouse snores so loud that it becomes unlivable for the significant other. Snoring can also lead to severe medical issues if left untreated.
While older people have more of a tendency to snore, it does occur in people of all ages. Some of the most common causes of snoring are:
1. Your age as you grow older your throat begins to narrow, increasing your chances of snoring.
2. Your body certain physical attributes can make one more prone than the other for snoring.
3. Sinus or nasal blockages this is a major contributor to snoring, because a blockage in your nose or airways can cause snoring, and in some instances serious medical problems.
4. Posture while sleeping your body posture during sleep is also a major factor in your snoring. Sleeping on your back can cause snoring. If you sleep on your back, try sleeping on your side, your snoring may disappear!
Here are a few tips that may just cure your snoring once and for all!
1. Change your sleeping posture sleep on your side. Try it out. If it doesnt work, try a different position.
2. Exercise Im not asking you to lift 100 pounds. Do LIGHT exercise consisting of walking or running. A treadmill is great.
3. Cut out the alcohol yep you heard me! If you cant get your snoring under control, you have to cut out alcohol and any other type of tranquilizers from your diet. Both of these can cause your throat muscles to relax and increase your chances of snoring, and snoring loud! If you have a hard time getting to sleep without the use of pills, discuss it with your physician.
4. Check for allergies your snoring may be a product of your allergies. Allergies often make people breathe through their mouth while sleeping, which will cause snoring.
5. Try to keep a regular schedule try not to become too overworked, because exhaustion could also lead to snoring. Keeping a regular sleeping schedule will make sure that your body is fully rested and working at its optimum capabilities.
6. Mouth-guard Your dentist can provide you with a mouth-guard that will hold your teeth together and prevent snoring.
If you have tried all of the above tips and you still cant get your snoring under control, you may need to consult with a physician. Severe snoring can lead to serious medical conditions and should be treated as early as possible.
Hot Tip: If you are a smoker, you should seriously entertain the thought of quitting immediately. Not only does smoking contribute to snoring, it also is the leading cause of many other life threatening illnesses.