The perfect dish for when tomatoes are abundant.
A great Sunday night dinner or delicious lunch, especially if served with a green salad. Add jalapenos to the tomatoes for extra heat.
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup fine cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoons baking powder
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup reduced-fat milk
cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
teaspoon sherry vinegar (white wine or balsamic vinegar will also work)
1 pounds (80 gms) heirloom or regular tomatoes, cut into quarters and seeded
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or basil (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme or basil)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1. In a food processor pulse the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and half a teaspoon of both salt and pepper until combined. Add the butter and half the cheese (1/4 cup) and pulse until the mixture forms coarse breadcrumb appearance. Add the milk slowly and pulse until the dough just comes together.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a inch thick circle. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 15 mins, or while you prepare the tomatoes. Preheat the oven to 375 F (190 C or Gas Mark 5).
3. In an ovenproof skillet pan, combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat, swirling not stirring, until the mixture turns amber about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and swirl to combine. Add the tomatoes and thyme, season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat the tomatoes in the caramel mixture and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the juices have thickened slightly. Remove from heat.
4. Cut the chilled dough into 8 wedges and arrange in a circle on top of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
5. Transfer to the oven and bake the cobbler till golden, 30 40 minutes.
Great served on its own, even better with steamed greens or green salad.
Calories per serving: 311
Fat per serving: 12g
Saturated fat per serving: 8g
Protein per serving: 8g
Carbohydrates per serving: 47g
Fiber per serving: 3g